Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Edisto


Every other year my mom's side of the family gathers on Edisto Island, SC. It's a special place for all of us. We've always gone to the beach together in South Carolina, and in Edisto for the last 12 years if not longer. For those of you who haven't heard of or been to Edisto Island, it's between Charleston and Hilton Head. It's about 45 minutes from Historic Charleston. Edisto is pretty undeveloped commercially. There are about 3 restaurants, 1 bar, and zero hotels. It's all houses. We love it there. Each family within the extended family takes one night to cook and we all gather at that families vacation house and eat a home cooked meal each night. It's awesome. Each family has their specialty and all of us can't wait to try it. My cousin Robert and his wife Suzanne cook a low country boil, my other cousin Rick and his girlfriend Susan cook slow cooked beef and a slew of sides. My Aunt Minnie cooks spaghetti and Lima beans, my Aunt Beth does Poppy seed chicken and usually my Dad does Ribs. This year we combined my Aunt Beth's night with my parents night and had London broils instead. And lets not forget the boiled peanuts. Enough boiled peanuts to feed an army. Yum! But enough about the food. ;) 

I love it there and two years ago I was lucky enough to have Hall experience it with us. He is in love now too. Unfortunately because of work he couldn't come this year and was majorly bummed about it. But hopefully in two more years he'll be back. I love the beaches of South Carolina better than any others around. Maybe it's because I grew up going to those beaches. Who knows. But I will tell you driving down a two lane county road with the spanish moss hanging over the trees and endless views of marsh lands beyond makes me relax almost instantaneously. I see that view and my heart rate slows down, I can breath deeper and I feel at home. For a very transient family who can't really call any one place home I think all of us would agree that Edisto feels a little like returning home every time we visit. This was Jack's first trip of many I am sure. He had a blast eating sand, getting in the water, looking for shells, and playing with his extended family. It was the first time he had gotten to meet many of them. He was spoiled rotten and loved every minute of it. I can't wait to take him back. Another treat was my best girlfriend Mary came from California to stay the week with us. She also had a blast and relaxed on the trip. I think she enjoyed the peacefulness of the island, laid back atmosphere and boiled peanuts about as much as any of us. ;) 



                                           Eating at Bowen's Island Restaurant in Charleston.

                               We discovered Jack really likes hush puppies, like REALLY likes them.
                                             Tuckered out after walking around all morning.

           Heaven on Earth. Watching the sunset from the porch with wine and boiled peanuts of course!
                                                                  Mary, Jack and I.
                                     Jack with his new books from his Great Great Aunt Judi!














                                  Going out to Robert's Dock to see if we got any crabs in the traps.

                                                                      Success!!



No comments: