Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Vanity

Hall's been gone and I've been up to projects around the house. One of the bigger ones was rearranging the furniture in our master bedroom. I was the one cramped up against the wall in our bed and I decided enough was enough. When I changed everything around I found room for a vanity. I've always wanted one (not your cheesy one from 1950 with pics of my family in the mirror) but a modern take on a practical piece of furniture for a woman. I usually do my makeup in our guest bathroom which has horrible lighting and is terribly inconvenient if we happen to have guests (which we do a lot). So I found a desk and a stool separately and painted them ....Navy. It's bold for me, but I just had this vision and wanted to do it. I figured if it was horrible I could change it later. But I really like it. The master room in our rental house is wood paneling and while great for a rustic cabin or library, it's hard to pair with furniture. We can't paint it because it's a rental, so brown furniture doesn't look right, black looks okay, and white is way too bright so I decided on navy. I'm still not decided on the mirror on the vanity it seems kind of small to me. What do you think?

Excuse Franklin in these photos. He sees me with a camera and thinks he needs to model for me. This is the desk before.

The stool before. It had a plain beige fabric on the cushion part.

The blank place in our dark bedroom

This isn't as dark as it really is, but I didn't adjust the camera right.

A utensil holder acts now as my makeup/bobby pin/jewelry holder

I put the flash on and it's still not this bright, but a better idea of what it looks like.

I used the same jute twine that I put around the stool as my drawer pull. I had bought a knob for it, but didn't like the look.

1 comment:

Leighton said...

You DID it!!! It looks great! Good job, Brit Brit!