Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sneak Peek

One of the biggest projects I've been working on while Hall has been away has been the dining room. I've posted the before, during and a sneak peek at the after. It's still not finished. I'm close though. I need to take the chandelier to get a new socket put on, order two end chairs, and trim the curtains with fabric, but it's close. The room started out with a great view of the backyard, but it was covered in wallpaper. I will say the wallpaper was dainty and pretty and was the original paper put up in 1968. When I pulled the first wall down I realized it was put up directly on the drywall. I can see how it was lovely in the 60's & 70's, it just wasn't our style. It took two weeks of me working at night to get the wallpaper down, then I sanded the walls, ripped up the carpet, primed and painted. It's been a process and a lot of nights, but I'm so proud of it. If we finish up with it in the next few weeks it will be the first completed room downstairs and I am anxious to get the rest of the downstairs at least painted. It makes such a HUGE difference. Patience is a virtue, one that I am trying to learn. The one thing I can say this house has taught me is patience. Take your time, do it right and invest in the pieces and the things you want. It makes a difference.

If you have seen any of my pins on Pinerest then you know I have been coveting a grey dining room. I'm slightly obsessed. We chose a Sherwin Williams color called Dovetail. It's a warmer grey, tawny with brown undertones. I have a rustic farm table in there and will get some cream linen upholstered chairs, I wanted it to be formal but comfortable, and I think this color grey is just the ticket. Hall's Dad and Stepmom graciously gave us their 9 soldier paintings as a housewarming present. I am IN LOVE with them. Hall's grandmother Shirley Pruden was a painter, a great painter. She did these originally in paint and gave them to Hall's Uncle John, she made an ink and watercolor copy of the originals for Rip. They are magnificent. I love looking at them and I love having them in the dining room. The only problem is what to put on the other walls that will do the paintings justice, but not distract? I have two candle sconces and a large mirror for now, I need to live with it for a bit. Enjoy the pics. Once I'm finished I'll post the full room.
The before once again with the previous owners furniture

During the wallpaper removal


Sneak Peek of the new and improved room

No comments: