Saturday, November 14, 2009

I like being a Local

You may have heard there was very bad storms and flooding in our area this week. It was as bad as you've seen on the news. I can deal with tornadoes, and Hurricanes. I know what to do etc. But flooding? Are you kidding me? What are you supposed to do?

Our house is located two blocks from the ocean front on one side, one block from a marina on the other side and behind us is an inlet. So go figure we were in a pretty bad spot for flooding. Wednesday the winds picked up and we heard that it was only going to push the surf farther and farther inland. We knew it was going to be at it's worst on Thursday. Hall and I went to work and both had to leave early because of flooding in the area. I drove through rain like I've never driven through before. Coming over the bridge into our neighborhood I could see that the Marina had overflowed into the parking lot. I turned down the street our street is perpendicular with and had to drive slowly through several inches of flood water. Rudee Inleet started flooding it's parking lot too and we hadn't even gotten to high tide yet. I was a little worried about the water at high tide making it to our street but it held off and we only had to deal with trees, branches, etc. Friday morning Hall and I woke up to a big disaster that had happened to our backyard: branches, shingles, pine straw, and leaves were everywhere. We were lucky, other houses in the neighborhood still have flood waters in their yards, and one house had a tree fall through it.

Downtown Norfolk is still under water, I pray for all of those people who evacuated and don't know the current condition of their homes. I also pray for those serving our country overseas and, like Karin, out training in a boat in the middle of the Atlantic with no idea how bad their situation might be when they get home.

Through it all however, even when their parking lot was flooded, Big Sam's the restaurant right next to our house stayed open. Can you believe it? Their parking lot flooded so bad with the ocean right behind them you couldn't tell where the marina began and the parking lot started. I saw trucks drive through trying to get out with water up to their door frames. But it stayed open and people put on their waders and went inside. My Saturday morning ritual as of late has been to go to Big Sam's by myself on Saturday mornings while Hall is hunting and read. I love it! I was worried about walking there this morning though because when I drove past their parking lot last night it was flooded still. I left the house in my rain boots deciding I could do like the locals and grin and bear it. A little wet feet was still better than no hot breakfast and a Bloody Mary to wash it down :) To my pleasant surprise the parking lot was clear, no water anymore, just what looked like to be the beach in their parking lot, sand and seashells. I got inside sat at the bar and watched them cook breakfast all morning. It was delicious, and packed! Everyone like me, still didn't know the fate of Big Sam's but loved the Saturday morning tradition so much they came anyway. I felt for the first time like a local. I like it.

2 comments:

Katie and Cullen said...

So glad that you guys and your house made it out ok! Happy late anniversary too!! I thought about y'all last weekend. Sounds like you had a great celebration!

Leighton said...

I love this!!!! So glad y'all made it okay, and I'm really proud of you for being a local:) Miss you!!!