Sunday, August 2, 2009

Washington DC

My brother is doing an internship at Holder Construction right outside of DC. His girlfriend, Allison's mom is kind enough to let Drew live with them at their house in Alexandria for the summer. While Drew was still up there Hall and I decided to take a trip up to see them. We had a great time. 

Saturday we started out the day by going to the Eastern Market and getting freshly made pickles, samples of sweet fresh peaches and pear. We also got crepes for lunch from a street vendor they were amazing! I had ham, swiss, spinach and tomato in mine. The guy wrapped the hot crepes in newspaper and we all walked around the vendor tents eating our lunches. Delicious. 

We then made our way to the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History. It's a favorite of mine from a kid and I wanted to see it as an adult. I have to admit I was fascinated with the Hope Diamond and the Shrunken Heads. To my dismay the Shrunken Heads are no longer there :( We had a blast walking around and looking at all the exhibits. After the museum we walked out onto the lawn by the Washington Monument. Allison took us over to the WWII monument since Hall and I had never seen it. It was really neat. We used the computers to look up both my Grandmother and Grandfather who are honored there. They met in Cairo, Egypt during the war while they both served for the Army. It was sad and neat to see the monument, while WWII was horrible, my Dad's side of the family would not be alive without it. My grandparents  married within a few weeks of meeting each other while they were both still stationed in Cairo. 

We finished our walk in front of the White House and then continued back to the car. For dinner we stopped by the market on the Chesapeake and ordered a half bushel of steamed blue crab. And a dozen mudbugs, oh how Hall and I miss mudbugs (Crawfish for all you Northern people)! It was the first we've had this year! That night we got dressed and headed to Murphy's in old town Alexandria an amazing little place. You can have beer or wine in the movie theater. How cool is that? 



















No comments: