Sunday, July 12, 2009

Lox

For past three days I have been working on making my own homemade lox. I'm glad to announce success! It was sooooo easy. 

Ingredients:
 1-2lb. fresh salmon (i used one pound on the first go around)
1/4 salt (kosher preferably)
1/4 brown sugar
1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper

Mix together the pepper, salt and sugar. Rinse the salmon and cut in half. Pat dry. Coat the salmon in the salt rub. Pack it on big time! Then sandwich the two pieces together. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Leaving the two short ends open so the juices can run out. Put in a ziploc container with a smaller container or steamer holding the salmon off the bottom of the jar, so it won't soak in it's own juices. Put a lid on it and then set in the fridge for a few days. I turned mine about every twelve hours. Once it stops creating juices it's done. Bring it out rinse off the rub in cold water. Taste. If it's too salty put into a cold water bath and check every thirty minutes. I only needed to put it in for thirty. Pat dry then slice thinly along the grain. 

It is wonderful and really easy. Picture to come after tonight! 

No comments: