Friday, August 12, 2011

Wives Tales

In trying to get our child out we have tried every wives tale either of us has heard of besides the castor oil one. Forget that nonsense. I have danced to Baby Got Back and My Humps, I've vacuumed the entire house, I've walked every night for blocks, I've bounced up and down on the bed and yoga ball, I've had my sister rub pressure points on my legs, I've eaten really spicy food, drank 1/2 glass of red wine (delicious by the way, oh how I've missed drinking you these last several months). I won't go into other more private methods, but yes we've tried those too. Nothing. In an attempt to eat Eggplant Parmesian my mom, sister, Hall and I went out to eat at Carraba's and they didn't have it. What? Seriously they do not make eggplant parmesian. It might just be the few chains in our neck of the woods, but I was sorely disappointed. I decided to try my own at home (still no baby). Below is the recipe from the Gourmet Cookbook (one of our favorites) and it was heavenly. Hall and I could not stop eating it. So so so delicious. The eggplant stayed crispy, the sauce was simple and elegant and the cheese was oh so gooey. I normally don't love eggplant, I love this recipe. The sauce doesn't cover each layer, it's just enough to spoon a little bit on each eggplant slice and it really makes it work. I had to share it.

ingredients

2 1/2 lb medium eggplants (about 3), cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick rounds
3 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 - 28oz cans peeled whole Italian tomatoes
1 1/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
20 fresh basil leaves, torn in half
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
5 large eggs
3 1/2 cups breadcrumbs ( I was tempted to use Panko, and glad I didn't it would have been too crispy)
1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 lb chilled fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced

preparation

Toss eggplant with 2 teaspoons salt in a colander set over a bowl, then let drain 30 minutes.
While eggplant drains, coarsely purée tomatoes and their juice in batches in a blender. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a 5-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then add garlic and sauté, stirring, until golden, about 30 seconds. Add tomato purée, basil, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and red pepper flakes and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 25 to 30 minutes.
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F.
Stir together flour, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a shallow bowl. Lightly beat eggs in a second shallow bowl, then stir together breadcrumbs and 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano in a third shallow bowl.
Working with 1 slice at a time, dredge eggplant in flour, shaking off excess, then dip in egg, letting excess drip off, and dredge in breadcrumbs until evenly coated. Transfer eggplant to sheets of wax paper, arranging slices in 1 layer.
Heat remaining 1 1/2 cups oil in a deep 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then fry eggplant 4 slices at a time, turning over once, until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes per batch. Transfer with tongs to paper towels to drain.
Spread 1 cup tomato sauce in bottom of a rectangular 3 1/2-quart (13- by 11- by 2-inch) baking dish. Arrange about one third of eggplant slices in 1 layer over sauce, overlapping slightly if necessary. Cover eggplant with about one third of remaining sauce (about 11/4 cups) and one third of mozzarella. Continue layering with remaining eggplant, sauce, and mozzarella. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Bake, uncovered, until cheese is melted and golden and sauce is bubbling, 35 to 40 minutes


Photo from Epicurious.com Sorry I ate too quickly to even think about shooting my own. ;)

No comments: